Yesterday and coworker and I put a new LSI MegaRaid SAS 9260-4i into one of our servers that was running KVM and received the a surprising message on boot up:
No Base port found
Um, OK. Thinking it was a bad card we swapped it for another with the same specs. Same error.
- removed and resat the card, same error
- changed the cables, same error
- checked LSIs site, nothing
- searched the ‘net, nothing
- rebooted the server, resetting its bios setting to defaults, bingo!
The card came up no problem. It was a bios setting causing the problem.
Next we went into the bios changed some settings:
- disabled quiet boot
- enabled virtualization in the CPU
- enabled virtualized I/O in the CPU
Rebooted and, the error was back. We returned to the bios and disabled the Virtualized I/O. Voila! Unlike the previous (and older) raid card, the newer LSI 9260-4i doesn’t like the Virtualized I/O in the Intel CPUs/bios.
Hope this helps someone else out there.